Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fictional Boyfriends

For some reason, the topic of fictional crushes has been coming up a lot lately. I do not know if this is because I spent a good 45 minutes talking to a figment of Maureen Johnson's imagination the other day (on twitter, not, like, in my room talking to myself, because that is a sign of mental illness), or because I've been talking about how fictional people are better than real life people on the ning.

I tend to get uncontrollable, long lasting crushes on completely inappropriate fictional characters Like Lennie Brisco from Law and Order; you may remember him as the old, sarcastic guy. He was also Baby's dad in Dirty Dancing, and the voice of the candlestick in Beauty and the Beast. I legitimately love this guy, and he died in 2004. I won't watch Lennie-less episodes of L&O, that's just unnatural.

Going along with the dead people crushes; when I was 11, I had a rather ridiculous crush on Chris Chambers from Stand by Me. I saw this movie on TV and just loved him. I then proceeded to rent River Phoenix movies, being 11 and 12 this was fairly difficult, since I didn't have a car, and most of those movies are not for 11 and 12 year old girls, and I mostly convinced my friends mom's to rent these movies when I was at sleepovers and the like. I'm sure you can see how this ends, since this particular actor died when I was seven. I did, however get a pretty awesome fictional character out of it.

My most well known and slightly ridiculous crush is on Marty McFly from Back to the Future, and to a slighter extent, Michael J Fox himself. Marty McFly was my one true love in 6th grade, before Zac Hanson, and before Fred Weasley. I would like to take the time now to point out that I was born over a year after the first Back to the Future movie hit theaters. I used to have a little picture cut out of Marty in my locker, it was behind my GIANT Zac Hanson poster, but I had one. I guess even then I was knew there was something a little bit off about my love for a person that only existed in the movies.

I have no idea what my issue with this is. I grow very attached to characters in books, movies, and the occasional TV show. It's weird I guess. But I've discovered a whole nerdfighters ning forum dedicated to peoples crushes on fictional characters that made me feel less like a complete loser. I just feel like I have BIG and CRAZY crushes on not real people. I guess I would feel better if I had an equal number of inappropriate crushes on real people.

I don't know why I never seemed to get crushes on real life people; I've had two real life people crushes that come close to my love for Marty McFly and Lennie Brisco. Real life people are just so different, and imperfect. While every other girl is waiting for Prince Charming, I'm waiting for my Marty McFly to appear in his DeLorean (this can never happen, since the DeLorean was destroyed at the end of the 3rd movie).

But you, yes you (reference to another fictional crush, just saying) blog reader, I want to know about your fictional crushes. Tell me about the not-real people that you can't get out of your head. Please :)


AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY

Today is awesome because, maybe, finally, I might have a job, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.
Books read: 14
Currently reading: Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

4 comments:

  1. Oh jeeze. Ummm... ummm... I'd have to say that my most ridiculous character crush was when the "Lord of the Rings" movies came out. I was OBSESSED with Legolas (like most of the teen girl population was at the time), but he was my favorite character BEFORE the movies came out. I liked him more after the movies. But, yeah, I soon had a mini-shrine of posters dedicated to Legolas on my bedroom wall. Since I've grown older, the posters are now residing in my closet back at home, but it doesn't mean that I love the character any less. Just... less obsessively. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I've always secretly thought Severus Snape was sexy.
    And David Bowie. In Labyrinth. I was incredibly happy when people on the ning felt the same way; that I'm not alone in thinking this.
    Also, I have recently (well, since last summer), developed a crush on Neil Patrick Harris. All because of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog! <3 :D *swoon*. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... You had a crush on David Bowie in 'Labyrinth' too? I completely forgot about the Goblin King until you mentioned him! Although I don't think ANYONE can forget the criminally tight pants. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did! :)
    And yes. Those pants /were/ criminally tight. >.<
    :P

    ReplyDelete