Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Last night, I was lying in bed, thinking about what I would do when I got internet this morning, and I thought, "I'll write a blog about the first time I had the internet in my house," because I'm lame. But while waiting for the cable guy to get to the Apartment I finished reading a book, and book that I struggled to read, not because it was a bad book, or a poorly written book, in fact exactly the opposite.


There is a decent chance that anyone reading this knows my story. They know who I am, and whom I was when I was 17, or at least they've heard me talk about it. If you don't you'll figure a lot out by the end of this blog post.

Today, while waiting to get the Internet, something that we here have been anxiously waiting a week for, I read Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher while my roommate watched the second Jurassic Park movie, and eventually fell asleep.

I started reading it a little over a week ago, and from the opening page, I knew it would be a hard read. It's a book a suicide, the reasons why this 17-year-old girl, who was outwardly popular and beautiful, killed herself. It's told through the boy that had a crush on her, a boy that one day, two weeks after she died, received a package filled with seven Cassette tapes. Each side of each tape has a different story, 13 in total.
The story itself is heart breaking because from the beginning you know how it ends, you know that when the tapes are over, the girl will be dead, she's already dead, and in listening to these tapes the boy, one of the narrators of the story is trying to save her. I felt myself, hoping that in the end, he would save her.

This book is her suicide note.

This book is one of if not the best book I've ever read. At 23, I'm a far different person than I was when I was 17, the age that this girl, Hannah, committed suicide, but it could have been me. One different step in the life of this fictional character and her life would be different. If she had that one person that stopped her on the way out of school and said, "See you tomorrow."

This is one of those books that reading it, it becomes you. It is me, if I'd gone out the back way instead of out the side doors of the school that Wednesday. If Hannah had opened her mouth.

I highly recommend this book, and since I probably know you, blog reader, I'll be glad to lone you my copy. (As long as you don't mess it up, like what happened with my Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, we'll be fine.) It's one of those books that looking back, someone, maybe even me, will say, "I read that book and it changed my life."


AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY

Today is awesome, because I took the side door, and someone did stop me and say, "Hey, Deanna, I'll see you tomorrow."

Books read: 12 Last book finished: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

3 comments:

  1. (sniffle) Guh... WAAAAH!!!! (BIG HUGS) I love you!!! <3
    I have the feeling that if I read that book, I would need around five boxes of tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Noelles
    You can borrow it as soon as you finish Alaska. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have reserved a copy at my local library thanks to your recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete