Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thestrals

I’m re-reading the series, and I came across something that confuses me: Thestrals.


You can only see then if you have seen death. Didn’t Harry see is parents die? Shouldn’t he have been able to see them the whole time? I read a wiki article that said he couldn’t see them when he was leaving Hogwarts after Cedric died because he hadn’t dealt with the death yet, which I can understand. It takes more than a week to process something like that. I remember still being upset about it when the 5th book came out, and I didn't even like Cedric Diggory.

I remember this part bothering me when I read the books the first and second times through, but now I have people to ask about this. So,why doesn’t Harry see the Thestrals through-out the whole series, but only once the 5th book begins?

2 comments:

  1. Because he doesn't remember his parents death. Sure he saw it, but it didn't make any memory impression. He believed they died in a car crash until he was 11. His baby brain couldn't comprehend what had happened because, well, it didn't know what death was. Part of witnessing death is a knowledge of witnessing death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @cerulean Notion thanks :) I feel like a horrible Harry Potter fan for not figuring this out on my own. That makes perfect sense. :)

    ReplyDelete