Friday, July 16, 2010

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Honestly, I'm probably the worst reviewer of things ever. I mean people ask me what kind of music I like and I say something like "I don't really know." Because that's true, but when I find a band or a song I really like I can't tell people about it because I can't wrap my head around how amazing it was and have it make sense, it comes out something like "It's kinda like the Killers, only completely different and with more cymbals." Because that, is a review.

I was horrible at Book Reports too. I remember one I did in 8th grade on Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, which BTW is my favorite of the series, and I, like, failed, because I'm bad at summerizing.

This has a point, I promise.

Recently, by recently I mean like, a minute ago, I finished a book I think anyone reading this blog should pick up, or borrow from me. It's called "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman. It's a about a seventeen year old girl named Mia, who is in a HORRIBLE CAR ACCIDENT in the second chapter of the book which kills her parents, her little brother is also in the car. I feel that this should be emphasized since it isn't on the back cover, and it's sort of a mystery how this girl ends up in a comma, but HORRIFIC CAR ACCIDENT. This made me want to stop reading. I mean it's been a year and a half, but still reading about seeing brain matter on the road and knowing  what happened that December night, was still a lot hard to handle.

Once I pick the book back up again and got past the crying in a public park in front of people for a fictional family, I got to the core of the book which is this girl, watching herself in a coma, deciding whether she should stay and fight and live in this world, or go join her family.

It chonicals her time in the coma as well as her life before the accident, and how these are reasons she should stay, or reasons she should go. It's powerful.

It's beautifully written, every word of it. It does say on the cover "Will appeal to fans of Twilight" but when I first saw it, it was still in hard cover and didn't say that, and I didn't notice until I got home, but anyway, there are no CREEPY VAMPIRES or NOT REALLY BUT THANKS FOR TRYING WEREWOLVES. It's not really fantasy, but kind I guess, I don't see it as fantasy because I view fantasy as the kind of book like Harry Potter or Twilight or something with far off lands and stuff. This is more surreal. But it is really amazing.

I know I'm, like, the WORST reviewist in the world, but I hope that explains why it's awesome. It's one of those books that makes you want to write like that, like reading a Sarah Dessen book. It's heartfelt and real, and most importantly, unlike Twilight, well written.

I hope that what I just wrote makes some kind of sense and maybe persades someone to read it, I hope it does. I really enjoyed it. In the books I've read this year I've only said "WAIT STOP THE PRESSES THIS BOOK IS FREAKING AWESOME twice, and I've read some AMAZING literature this year. I hope that says something as well. I mean, I want, like, my opinion to mean something.

AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY
Today is awesome because, well the weather was wonderful, and I read a wonderful book

Books read: 35
Since my last blog I have read: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire - both by Suzanne Collins and If I Stay by Gayle Forman

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna have to pick that one upon my next library trip, awesome! seemed like a good review to me!

    ReplyDelete