Thursday, February 24, 2011

Let's talk about Glee, because it's Thursday and I'm still mad

Okay, so I know there is A LOT going on in the world right now, crazy horrible things, but I'm going to talk about Glee, not because I don't care about everything else in the world, but because I'm in the same room as my mom, who is re-watching this week's episode, and I'm in a rage.


I know it's just a stupid television show, but honestly they had a real chance to make a difference about something that is a huge problem in the United States, and probably other places, and they didn't, if anything, they probably added to the problem. Am I saying the Glee could have single handedly stopped teenage/ underage drinking? No. What I'm saying is they gave some high school freshman who sees Rachel Berry as a role model the excuse they've been looking for to try it. 

It's not like the writers of the show don't know who their demographic is. Sure, people my age love this show, but so does my 15 year old cousin and her friends who have glee watching parties on Tuesday night after they do their homework. More than half the people I follow of tumblr are under 21, and if you've ever had the misfortune of being on Tumblr during Glee, you'd think nothing else has ever happened in the world other than that show. The writers of this show did not need to glorify underage drinking like it was. 

There needed to be consequences. During Blame in on the Alcohol, there is no way that a teacher would have looked at that group of kids and not noticed that there was something wrong with them. Mr. Schue spends an obnoxious amount of time with those kids, it doesn't take a genius to realize they were under the influence. After Tik Tok, when half the fucking Glee club vomited on stage, the Principal shouldn't have rewarded them. If he was stupid enough not to realize they were drinking, Schue should have said something. That's what my teachers would have done, that's what a responsible adult would have done.

Another thing that REALLY bothered me about this episode is how Mr. Schue's drinking was taken the same way as the glee club drinking was. Mr. Schue is what, 30ish? the glee club members may be in their mid twenties in real life, but on that show, they are 16/17 years old. They should not be telling him that because he does it, they should be allowed to. The first thing about out Mr. Schue's mouth when Quinn said that should have been: "You're a teenager, I'm an adult. when you turn 21 you can make the choice for yourself."

The only thing about this episode that I thought was responsible was Mr. Schue handing out his number to those kids. He's a least a (mostly) responsible person that the kids can trust. 

Glee had a social obligation  to it's viewers, and if they treated teen drinking, which kills people every day, the same way they treated bullying, it could have been a wonderful episode, and they could have used the same songs, instead they made it a joke, which really just pissed me off.

Watching that episode, I couldn't help but think of memorable teen drinking episodes of the shows of my childhood. The one I really remembered, was Boy Meets World. In that teen drinking episode, Cory and Shawn are arrested, while the experience hits home with Cory, it doesn't really with Shawn. In the Matthew's kitchen there is moment almost exactly like the moment in the Choir room when Cory says to his dad something along the lines of "You drink, why shouldn't I." Mr. Matthews says "Because I'm an adult and you're not." Like Mr. Schue should have, because that's what someone you look up to as a role model should say at that point in time.

 Throughout the rest of that episode (which I believes takes place over a week or so) Shawn continues to drink. He does worse in school. Mr. Feeny and Mr. Matthews step in with no real changes being made. Jack yells at him and finally Shawn hits his girlfriend Angela.  I was, like 9 or 10, the first time I saw that episode. I've seen it a whole bunch of times since, and honestly it's one of those moments when I know television changed something in me.

That moment is repeated over and over again for the last three seasons of that show. Every time Shawn drinks, or Cory drinks or Eric or Jack or anyone, the point of the show when Shawn hit Angela is brought up. It's re enforced in the kids watching the show, whether they were in high school or college, or like me, 13 watching that show, that there will be consequences for your actions.

I love Glee, a horrible plotless show, yes, but i still love it. I just really wish this episode played out a lot differently. 

AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY
today is awesome: because it's LAUNDRY DAY! 

Book read: 2!! 
Currently reading: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

1 comment:

  1. I am ashamed to say that I don't remember that episode of BMW at all. D: It must have been one of those that I missed because they didn't show it on reruns or something. Boy Meets World handled everything better than everyone. Topanga is basically the entire reason my self image is as good as it is. Having a girl her size and having her called beautiful and desirable on TV was a Big Deal.

    ANYWAY. I agree, though I was more disturbed by the bisexuality storyline (b/c, y'know, that's where my brain is, moreso than drinking). Glee has so much potential to do awesome things but then it... doesn't.

    ReplyDelete