Sunday, May 29, 2011

I helped write a novel yesterday.

A NOVEL in a day. I couldn't tell you what it's about, unless you want to know the inter workings of chapter 9, I can tell you pretty much anything you need to know.

It was like mini nanowrimo, only each person was responsible for one chapter (2700 words). There were 24 people involved, 23 writers, and one illustrator all working on making something. It was amazing. I knew two of the people involved, my High School English Teacher, and one of the cast members of Stranger than Fiction. I did recognize twitter handles and faces from other things my High School English Teacher does, but that's not really important. The important part is that together in 24 hours we wrote a novel, together.

If you would like to read it, you can get the pdf file here:
http://www.johnherman.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/OVERFLY.pdf

I think you should. There were some really, really talented writers involved.

OH and also Ruth: You asked in my last blog if who I like Anna and the French Kiss and Before I Fall. I LOVED them. Legit everything I look for when reading a book, brilliant writing. I can't wait to read more by both authors.

AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY
Today is awesome because I still feel what I can only describe as a "I did something really awesome high."

Books read 6
currently reading: Elsewhere

EDIT in response to Ruth's comment question. Which I'm kind of guessing will be everyone's question:

They was it worked was once everyone had agreed to do the project, several of the writers created a rough outline and some characters and assigned each writer a chapter with a starting point and a suggestion for the middle, the ending of the chapter was pretty much up to the writer. At midnight on the 28th, John, the project leader, started to post the outline and the characters along with pieces of the setting that were in more than one  piece of the novel. No one really knew what they were going to write or what the book was about until the 28th, honestly I'm still kind of confused about the whole book, but I'm really excited to read it. We mostly communicated through twitter and some of us were in a local coffee shop where we could converse about aspects of the novel, like character traits, names of places, how old, Maggie, the main character was (weird inside joke). The best way I can describe it is an intense one day NaNoWriMo.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked them! I actually managed to snag an arc of Lola and the Boy Next door at BEA. I'm SO excited to read it! I also have Delerium by Lauren Oliver, of course.

    That novel in a day thing sounds super interesting, by the way. I'm a little confused as to how it worked, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discovered your blog by accident today. Very intriguing project -- the novel in a day. Since you are a writer, you may want to visit my blog some time. It's about and for writers. Hope you stop by. Fay of www.fay-moore.blogspot.com. Say hi when you come by.

    ReplyDelete