Monday, January 17, 2011

week 3: I'm going to do a challenge.

Because I have an uninteresting life. But first, I want to thank everyone who left comments on my last blog post. See that you guys, my friends that I've never met feel the same way, it just... just, you know makes me feel better about feeling the way I feel. So thanks. :)

So Whimsy set a challenge of sorts in her blog this week, which was "who are your top 5 (or however many you want to say) fictional characters. As I read the blog I was like "I can do this," however, it was WAY harder than I thought it would be.

TOP 5 FICTIONAL CHARACTERS IN DEANNA'S LIFE


1. OWEN MEANY (A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY by John Irving): If you haven't read this book, seriously, give it a try, I'm not saying you'll like it, but it's really worth a read. I first met OWEN when I was 17, a junior in High School. He was a paper back novel that I figured I would look  up on spark notes before the test, but I actually read this book, every page, and that little guy changed my life forever. OWEN MEANY is speaks in a way the whole world can hear. For a girl that didn't have a voice, OWEN was is the reason I have one now. OWEN MEANY changed my life. No other character, or real life person wait, I take that back, there is one real life person who has done more for my life than OWEN, but nothing means more to me than that character in that book. I can't imagine being who I am without him.

2. Topanga Lawrence (Boy Meets World) I'm not what one would call "normal" I'm not as odd as Topanga  (Seasons 1-3 Topanga she got kind of normal toward the end there.) by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not normal. Being 7 or 8 years old and seeing a girl like her on television allowed me to just be who I was without caring. The show may have ended 10 years ago, but characters like Topanga are relevant, important even today. I honestly wish I could point to another television character and say "That girl, she's going to show girls that it's okay to be who they are, just like Topanga did."

3. Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter) Dumbledore is flawed yes, but he is always the greatest wizard of our time. He's that first real father figure in Harry's life, the first person he really trusts. Dumbledore is witty and perfect and exactly the kind of wizard an 11 year old girl needs in her life.

4. I know I'm new to the fandom but really The Doctor (Doctor Who) I have never, ever felt like this about a fictional character. It's hard not to love The Doctor, for me, more in a Donna way than a Rose way. Who doesn't dream of getting away, traveling the world, time, space.

5. Marty McFly (Back to the Future) Shortly before Harry Potter was a huge part of my life, 11 year old me LOVED Marty McFly. I still love Marty McFly, I was Marty McFly for Halloween. He's my ultimate time traveling hero. Back to the Future was the first really "nerdy" thing I was into, no one else in my class had even see it at the time. This movie has been a weird life long obsession of mine, and Marty has EVERYTHING to do with it.

AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY
Today is awesome because I spent a decent amount of the day in a blanket fort

Books read 1
Currently reading: The Once and Future King T.H. White.

2 comments:

  1. I saw a BttF 3 De Lorean at the comic book store today, and immediately thought "Deanna should have that!" *nods*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on Topanga. I'm about 90% sure she is the reason I have such a good body image. It was amazing to see a girl like her, someone who isn't a size 2 but isn't obese either, on TV.

    ReplyDelete