Monday, November 22, 2010

I got called a Satanist today!

I just kind of have to write this down because it's so ridiculous.

Back Story!
I wear a  Slytherin scarf, it was expensive. I work in a place where things left in the break room sometimes get "lost" and I happen to work with the vindictive bitch whom I use to call the George to my Fred, so scarf is never out of my eyesight, ever.

So I have it on the back of my register whilst I work. Normally no one ever says anything, and if they do they say something like "Is that a Harry Potter Scarf?" "Oh where did you get?" or "Why aren't you a Gryffindor?"

TODAY a wonderful woman, who had three children with her, one about seventeen-ish one around nine or ten and one about three or four (in my guessing of ages) said to me: "Oh what is that symbol on your scarf?"
and I replied: "It's the symbol of the House of Slytherin in Hogwarts from Harry Potter."

The woman's face went from mildly pleasant to RAGE in seconds. She then proceeded to yell at me. She said: "I can not believe they allow you to have such a thing at your register. You are blatantly condoning Witchcraft and Sorcery and subliminally teaching my children about Satanism and devil worship. I can't believe the store would let someone like you do such a thing to unsuspecting costumers."

I, calmly as I could considering I had just been called a satanist in front of a store full of people, said: "Have you even read the Harry Potter books ma'am."

To which she replied, still steaming, in a full Walmart in the middle of the afternoon. "I don't need to read Satan's guide to Witchcraft to know what it's about, and I do not like you showing it off to my children!"

I then handed this lovely woman her slip and said "Have a great day ma'am." And she glared at me.

The man behind her almost wet himself trying not to laugh until she watched away.

AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY.

5 comments:

  1. I both fear that something like that will happen to me, and long for it. I would either start crying or start dancing around and screaming nonsense, waving my hands in their face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I can't stand people like that. If that ever happened to me I would have to take a deep breath, step back, and then explain (very calmly) that:
    1. Witchcraft and Satanism are not the same thing.
    2. Harry Potter is has nothing to do with either of those things (at least not the witchcraft SHE'S thinking of).
    3. Even if it was, witchcraft is just as legitimate a religion as any other and I bet that person doesn't go freaking out about Christian paraphernalia.
    Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You reacted beautifully. I always wish I had better things to say when confronted with that kind of thing, but I can never think of intelligence in the moment, so my reaction is normally either complete silence or something along the lines of "BITCH WTF ARE YOU ON GROW SOME BRAIN CELLS."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is competely rediclous! Yet funny... I love how you end all your posts with and that is the end of the story. You have a very nice blog I really like it. (did i mention that im a Harry potter fan???) come follow my blog its new...and slow but just come and visit it, you won't be disappointed :)

    ReplyDelete