Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Book Blog part 2

Part Two of my "Books I read this year" collection.
 13 Reasons Why – Jay Asher
Being someone who has been where the main character was, obviously I didn’t kill myself like she did, but you know, this book spoke so much to me. I don’t think I stopped crying the whole time I read this book. It was wonderful, skillfully written, excellent, excellent story telling. Jay Asher captured those moments, those hard horrible moments so wonderfully. If you’ve ever been depressed or suicidal, or know someone who has, read this book. Honestly this book is the best one I read all year. I can’t say enough about it. Read it.

 Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac - Gabrielle Zevin
I read this one because my roommate read it and said “You’re a writer, something is wrong with this book. What is it?” I think it was a rushed story, it could have been more developed and the ending was weird. The story, oh the story is wonderful, but there could have been a lot more done with it. I think.

Good in Bed - Jennifer Weiner
I picked this one up because I ran out of books to read, and I picked a good one. It’s not about what you’d think by the title. It’s about an overweight lady and who I believe just turned or is about to turn 30 and she broke up with the guy she thought she was going to marry then finds out she’s pregnant, but there is so much more, that the basics really. It’s deep and emotional. If you’re looking for a grown up book to read, I recommend this one. I don’t read much “regular adult fiction” but if they were all like this book, I would read more of it.

 PS I Love You - Cecelia Ahern
If you’ve seen the movie, but not read the book, you are MISSING OUT. After reading the book, the movie sucked, like, sucked, and I know a lot of people who love that movie. I’m also one of those books are better people anyway, so yeah. The book is so much awesomer though, it more in depth and you cry more, and it’s really great. I like books that make me cry, what I can say. I’m not a big romance reader, but this love story, genius, A+

 Will Grayson, Will Grayson – John Green and David Levithan
John Green, David Levithan, Will Grayson. will grayson. Let’s just say I appreciate the hell out of Tiny Cooper. Nuff said.

 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
This was the 2nd time I’d read the series all the way through. The first time was right after DH came out. I wanted to re-read them before the last movies. I could talk forever about Harry Potter and how much it’s changed my life. I believe that everyone who reads any place I post this blog post has read it, but if you haven’t there’s something wrong with you. It’s not just a children’s book. It’s the story that defines our generation. I am a proud member of the Harry Potter Generation.

Along for the Ride – Sarah Dessen
Not my favorite Dessen book, but excellent, per usual. I love her books, I think she’s wonderful her characters, everything. This one deals with step families and love mostly. I’ve mentioned before I’m not really into the whole “Romance” genre but her books are just so well written and well developed that the “romance” side of them isn’t the most important. This book is worth reading if you like her work or that non-angsty Young Adult style.

Dreamland
I know a friend in a similar situation to the main character in this book. I want more than anything to save her, this book, oh this book, shows domestic violence at its worst and tells the reader that there is really nothing we, as outsiders, can do but let it run its course. The psychology and imagery in this book; just read it.

Just Listen
Sarah Dessen does something amazing when she writes. She can take subjects like rape and eating disorders and make them the main focus of a book without focusing soley on that one subject. She’s a brilliant writer. I hope to someday write a book a quarter as good as this one.

Keeping the Moon
This is a good fun book, not one of my favorites, but still just the way Sarah Dessen writes is magical. This book deals with outcasts and “weird people” and what friendship really is.

That Summer
I felt there was something missing from this book, like it could have been longer and more too it, like of like it was rushed, but not really. This was Sarah Dessen’s first novel, and it kind of shows in a way. It’s still really good, but there’s something missing for me

Someone Like You
Teen pregnancy, death,  friendship, a really, really well written book. I wish I had more to say, because it was such a lovely book, but honestly, just read it.

Lock and Key
This was the first book I read by Sarah Dessen, it deals with abandonment, family, changing schools, friendship, love, abuse. Sarah Dessen is, just… just… brilliant.

This Lullaby
The science of the break up, the falling for the guy you never wanted to. I think this is the most “romantic” of the Sarah Dessen books, personally, and I really just loved it.

The Truth about Forever
This is my favorite Sarah Dessen Novel. I can’t really put my finger on why, but if you only read on Sarah Dessen book, I recommend this one the most.

1 comment:

  1. 13 Reasons Why - I think there is something wrong with me. I really, REALLY did not like this book. I have dealt personally with depression, as well as depression and suicidal thoughts within those closest to me, but I just did not connect with this book AT ALL in the way that I know many other people have. I'm glad you liked it, though.

    PS I Love You - I have not read this book, but two of my middle school friends made me sit through the movie, which I LOATHED. I then refused to read the book, but now I really want to give it a try. Thanks.

    Will Grayson, Will Grayson - Two of my very favorite authors in one book. And Tiny Cooper is probably one of my favorite YA characters ever.

    Harry Potter - No comment could possibly do the series justice.

    Along for the Ride - Sarah Dessen is one of my beachy, summery read kind of writers. I love her quirky characters. This one was not my very favorite, but it was quite fun.

    Dreamland - I picked this one up thinking it would be a beachy read like her others. So, so wrong. I felt that I left this read with a much better understanding of something that I think is very difficult for "outsiders" to grasp.

    Just Listen - this was the first one of hers I read, and it is still possibly my favorite. So wonderful.

    Someone Like You - heartbreaking, well written. I love how clearly she paints characters like "the abused girlfriend" or "the teen mom" or "the rape victim" realistically without ever coming close to throwing a pity party.

    Lock and Key - not my favorite, but once I got farther into it, I couldn't put it down.

    This Lullaby - My other favorite of hers. Fun, fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete