Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Book Blog part 1

This post is broken into 3 parts because it's 7 MS word pages long. I am posting the next one in a few hours. These posts are the "reviews" of the books I've read this year. I'm kind of horrible at reviewing, but I hope it gets you a little incite into the books, hopefully enough to pick them up if you haven't already. 

Extras – Scott Westerfeld
I read the rest of these books at the end of 2009, and I loved them. Honestly, I think this one fell a little bit short of the other ones, but I still liked it. It was nice to see what happened the Tally after the end of Specials, but I kind of wish it was left as a Trilogy.

Sloppy Firsts Second Helpings Charmed Thirds Fourth Comings Perfect Fifths - Megan McCafferty
This SERIES! The Jessica Darling Series by Megan McCafferty is BRILLIANT! I loved it. I actually drove in a blizzard to Bangor Maine to by the third book I needed to know what happened. I heard of these books through Hayley G Hoover of Youtube/fiveawesomegirls fame. From where I’m sitting, we have fairly similar tastes in books and movies and whatnot, so I figured I’d give it a whirl. They’re more adult than most books I read, but the same themes run through them, romance, friendship, school, college, losing friends, all that fun stuff. I HIGHLY recommend these books.


So Yesterday- Scott Westerfeld
This one was different for me. I really enjoy Scott Westerfeld’s writing, this book was one of my favorites by him. It’s a bit of a mystery, and kind of a short book, so a very quick read. It’s one of those books that makes you think about life a little differently after you read it. I like that in a book


Liar- Justine Larbalestier
I had high expectations for this book and it feel a little short of them. It’s a good book don’t get me wrong, I just wasn’t into the story. It’s about a murder, and a wolf, and a liar. It gets confusing sometimes, and I think if I was more my taste in books than the book itself that kind of turned me off to it.


 Night in Twister River – John Irving
I LOVE John Irving novels, I LOVE THEM. This one is no exception. I think it takes a special kind of reader to like John Irving books, so if you’re read and like Hotel New Hampshire or The World According to Garp then there is a better chance that you’ll like this one than if you don’t. It’s not really for a first time Irving reader I don’t think, because of what the story is actually about when you sit down and think about it afterward. It’s thicker, not just page wise but intensity wise, it took me over two weeks to read it, which considering how quickly I normally read is a turtles pace. It’s deep, but really, really good. I love John Irving. I could write page after page about how much I love John Irving, and this book reminded me of why I love his writing so much. 


 Scarlett Fever- Maureen Johnson
Maureen Johnson is another one of those authors that I don’t think can ever write anything I don’t like. This is the second in the Suite Scarlett series, and personally I liked it better than the first one, more Spencer, I think is the reason of that (I named my cat after Spencer Martin. I love Spencer Martin.). You need to read the first one for this to make sense, but seriously, go rent or buy or borrow all of Maureen’s books right now, and read them. SERIOUSLY.

1 comment:

  1. I shall comment on the ones I've read because I have nothing better to do.

    Extras - Honestly, I loved Uglies, but I felt like that whole trilogy just kind of went downhill. Maybe I'm still just put out about the whole Zane thing. *tear* Still, I actually really liked Extras after I wasn't so crazy about Specials.

    So Yesterday - Loved it. It's very different for Westerfeld, but I think it's one of his best.

    Scarlett Fever - MJ. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete