Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Sausage King of Chicago

As I’m sure most of you know, I love the 80’s movies, Back to the Future, The John Hughes movies, etc. And as I’m sure you are all aware a week ago John Hughes died.

I’ve been trying to write a blog about this, but I wasn’t sure how I would. As a child of the 90’s the movies of the 80’s really shouldn’t apply to me. They don’t speak directly to my generation or the high school I went to. I read an article today about how if Ferris Bueller existed today he would be a prime candidate for ADHD meds. Yet somehow, these movies do speak to me. I don’t know if it’s because I’m the weird kid or because I exposed myself to 80’s culture before I turned 12 that make me love this things so much.

Almost everyday “Don’t You Forget About Me” plays through Edgar Allen Ipoe’s headphones into my ears between The Who tracks and Emo songs and I see a gloved hand reaching for the sky on an Illinois Saturday. Most times I flick the wheel-y thing to show the album cover, which I have set as the movie cover. I wasn’t born when this movie was released (Or any of the John Hughes movies were I think. That’s a lie, Home Alone was 90’s movie). Yet there is something about it that will always make me smile.

When I hear people coughing, I can’t help but want to ask, “What is that ruckus in here.” Every time I watch Two and a Half Men, I don’t really see Allan Harper brother of Charlie Harper, but Duckie, all grown up and wondering if Molly Ringwald ever got together with Blane.

BTW I know someone named Blane, and I’m pretty impressed by my self-control to not ask him, “What the hell kind of name is Blane!?!?!” and then dance across a record store (Because there are sooooo many record stores in New Hampshire, maybe Bull Moose will have to do).

Sometimes I feel like I’m part of a secret club that know what “The Sausage King of Chicago” means, my mom didn’t even get it. I wonder occasionally if my love for sweater vests is because of Ferris or 11th grade English. To most people I know, Ben Stein is just the clear eyes guy, and I think maybe 6 people in my Algebra class got the reference when no one knew the answer to a question, even though Matthew Broderick was pinned to the side bulletin board (I should probably mention there were 11 people in the class, but still).

In college, The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles are kind of a big deal movie wise, at least with my friends. I always get excited when they’re on ABC Family, because for some reason I don’t own Sixteen Candles, I should get on that. Last time I check it was like $5 at WMart.

John Hughes stopped making movies a while ago, but I still feel that there will be something missing from Hollywood without him alive. And that without him, we wouldn’t have Emilo, which everyone should be thankful for, because what would life be like if he didn’t have The Mighty Ducks man.


Life move pretty fast. If ya don't stop and look around once and a while, ya gonna miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment