Monday, August 3, 2009

An STF High

So, this weekend was the "Improv Comedy Clash" presented by Stranger than Fiction, an Improv Comedy Troupe based out of the Seacoast of New Hampshire that my High School English Teacher is in (http://www.strangerthanfiction.us).

Basically this was a battle of improv awesomeness. There were two teams that battled each other in the regular improv games that we see every Tuesday. There were also judges, local celebs, that scored them in a mildly hilarious way.

Just for background, last night was my 48th Stranger than Fiction show. I've been going for as long as there has been a STF. I love them.

Yesterday morning I awoke to a direct twitter message from my High School English teacher. Which, honestly, is there anything in the world more awkward than waking up to a text message from your High School English Teacher? Anyways, he asked me if I, STF groupie, would like to be a judge in Sunday night's show. I, of course, was all "Umm Hellz Yes Mr. English Teacher."

So all I really did during the day yesterday was search for 3 hours for my handmade STF t-shirt, and try to figure out how many shows I'd been to (48).

I arrive at the Player's Ring uber early per usual and waited whilst listening to Hank Green's new live Album "I'm so bad at this." (which is awesome and he's really not that bad at it, he just needs to remember the words.)

At 9 we are allowed it. The judges, which also included a man named Steven who runs a web comic about time travel and a member of the troupes mom, were ushered out back and told what to do. Which, since myself and BP's mom have been to almost every show they have ever done, we know exactly what to do, the talk was mostly for Steven. We are basically told to make up scores and just have fun.

For my scores all the skits were silly things that had happened at the last 48 shows that I have attended (ex: 4 deaths by the number 7, 4 Jeffs, 4 grilled cheeses, or 4 ice creams I was promised by my High School English Teacher but never received.). It was amazing.

To truly understand the awesome that is STF you have to sit in the audience and live it. There is no other way to describe what a Jon Wellington is, or why the grilled cheese is completely hilarious. There is no way to explain why we talk about sexy vegetables, why we giggle at people named Jeff, call our male siblings "miblings," have dreams about creepy chicken babies, or why the mere mention of a 26 year old man would stand in the middle of a stage yelling "I'm in second grade" with his fist in the air, would make you almost wet yourself.

Nothing will ever be funnier that a bigger guy ending up completely upside down in a metal folding chair, how the only appropriate song ever sung was about having an affair with your teacher, or climbing the ovary crags of Menstrual mountain to fight the period monster. And you, blog reader that isn't my best friend Georgie, or Tracy, who has been to the shows before, will never quite understand it, no matter how much detail I put in to recreating the night in words.

STF has been, and hopefully will be forever, an amazing part of my summers, and I hope that there is never a time that it is. I'll be living in Maine next year, and I totally anticipate driving the 2.5 hours home every Tuesday to see them.

(So I'm listening to "Accio Deathly Hallows" by Hank Green, and he just said "I know this could end real bad, but I wish it didn't have to end at all" and even though it is actually about Harry Potter, I got a little bit teary-eyed thinking about how there is only 4 shows left in the summer.)

AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY

today is awesome, because my dad brought home boxes that look like coffins yesterday. And I have a picture to prove it on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment