Monday, July 20, 2009

Because I love The Who more than regular 22 year olds should

I know that my fascination with all things that happened before I was born, or in some cases, when my parents were in elementary school, is weird. I'll be the first to admit that my crush on Michael J Fox is weird, and that honestly I should only know The Who as they guys that sing the theme songs to CSI, or that Roger Daltrey was on That 70's show, the musical one, maybe I shouldn't actually know that, but it's awesome anyway.

Anyways, I vlogged on the sassyladies today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YilMzDoV9VI) in which I discussed briefly the Rock Opera Tommy, in particularly the song "Pinball Wizard," which, in case you were unaware, is my favorite song. Ever. Of All Time. Since I was 12.

I told viewers of said video, that if they were interested I would blog, here, about the actual Rock Opera, since I ran out of time, and still managed to go over 10 seconds.

This week our videos are going to be about favorite songs, and the stories behind them. Since Pinball Wizard is not all about just a kid giving up his pinball crown to Tommy, I'm going to use Wikipedia, to explain it in the Deanna way.

The album is a little bit different from the movie, and since I haven't listened to the whole album, or seen the movie/opera I'm going to kind of combined them like wikipedia does (I only found out about it a year ago. And I have stuff to do.).

Basically there is a boy Tommy, in the movie played by Roger Daltrey, who witnesses his father kill his step-father (it's the other way around in the movie). His dad, then tells him that he didn't see anything, or hear anything, and isn't to tell anyone. Because of this event, Tommy becomes deaf, dumb, and blind to cope.

His parents (whomever the happen to be at this point) try to cure him by taking him to see different people, and there is some cult action going on. Also his parents neglect him, and he is beat and molested by family members. Which, I can imagine doesn't help the not talking situation.

The only thing that gives Tommy comfort is looking into a large mirror at himself. Late one night, he is lured into a junkyard by his reflection where he finds a Pinball machine, which he becomes intensely good at, and then there is a pinball battle with the local champ, who awesomely enough is played by Elton John , who is wearing the best outfit ever (Google that shit). Tommy beats the pinball wizard and becomes a folk hero.

His parents then take him to to therapist who suggests that his problems are all him his head (true). His mom is basically pissed about this, and throws the kid in to the mirror which shatters it and Tommy snaps back into "reality."

Tommy then starts to talk and enlighten, and his in the movie version his step father (I'm assuming in the album version it's his father) exploits his enlightenment abilities for money. And Tommy becomes a religious icon.

And then the big climatic ending happens, which I'm not going to give away. Mostly because you should seriously see the outfit Elton John wears in the movie. Seriously (Rainn Wilson wore it when The Who was Rock Honored last summer, that's the only reason I know about. But seriously, at least Google that Shit).

So basically, Pinball Wizard isn't just about an awesome pinball player. There's a back story, just like there is with most songs. Maybe this one is a little bit more crazy and ridiculous than most, but I felt the story needs to be told.

AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY

Today is awesome because my boss was mildly upset that I didn't have a crush on a person I work with. Which is kind of weird. I hearts her.

1 comment:

  1. And to think that just a few months ago I learned of the song Pinball Wizard via its inclusion in Rock Band 2 ;)

    ReplyDelete