Sunday, August 29, 2010

Let's do this

I had a plan for this blog, but then I read Kristina's blog today, and I want to copy her. So I'm going to.

BUT FIRST!
I was working today, and this woman and her daughter (aged 5 or 6ish) came through my line, the girl was being kind of whiny and childlike, not overly annoying, but annoying enough. The girl was asking to hold things and stuff and I could tell that the mom was getting really annoyed. This behavior had been going on for most of the store, I guess. The mom was trying to punch in her PIN and the girl started to pull on the ladies coat, and saying "Mommy, I want to press the buttons!" The mother looked down at the little girl and said "Oh My God, Hermione, shut up." The little girl crossed her arms over her chest and pouted.

I almost wet myself and bit the inside of my mouth until it started to bleed, to keep myself from laughing.

The most important part of that story is that there are 5 and 6 year old children in the world named Hermione; and although she may not be named after the character in Harry Potter, I'm just going to assume she is. I hope one day that girl grows up to be the cleverest witch of her age. And that woman, most likely un-knowingly, since she was, like 35, gets to make AVPM references all day, everyday.

Back to copying Kristina Horner:
She wrote about her life 10 years ago. In December, everyone on twitter was talking about what they were like in the year 2000 I sent couple tweets that looked a lot like this: #10yearsago I was 13, had a huge crush on that Lab Tech on CSI, Greg, Fave Song was Pin Ball Wizard by The Who, I had a freakishly large Zac Hanson poster and my favorite movie was Back To The Future, and I couldn't WAIT for Order of the Phoenix
I then sent out a tweet that went something like this: As apposed to know, were Greg is no longer in the Lab, but a real CSI, my Hanson poster contains all three brothers and all the Harry Potter books have been released.  #ImthesamepersonIwaswhenIwas13.

I remember reading the tweets of the people I get to my phone, as we weren't cool enough to have Internet in the apartment. A lot of people were saying things like "Ten years ago I was deciding if I wanted to be in television or become a teacher." (became a teacher, if you were wondering) or "ten years ago I was a cheerleader, now I want to kill all cheerleaders"

I bring this up, because looking back at my life, my interests haven't changed very much. However, I don't think that 13 year old Deanna would like 23 year old Deanna, I also think 13 year old Deanna would call me a nerd and probably kick me, because 13 year old Deanna was a bitch, she was also a nerd, but intolerant of other nerds, because she was the BEST nerd EVER.

I've always been a nerd, and I wore my nerd with pride, unashamed that I was weirder than anyone that had ever existed. (I've decided that this is a fact.) My post it note days were only a year away, but I did carry around little boxes for key chains that played music (Oh the nineties)  I had a B*Witched one and a SClub 7 one is I remember correctly. I also got them taken away a lot, because they would go off at random times. I carried unnecessary things and had a posters of both Michael J Fox and Zac Hanson in my locker.

I was not yet friends with the girl that would lead to my belief that being weird and strange was a bad thing, so I was just out there being me and not caring about it. I kind of miss that kid. My backward baseball cap days. I have a picture of 13 year old me, I'm at a formal, so no hat but here:
I'm the one with the glasses, the other girl is Queen Elizabeth I (inside jokes)
I look exactly the same, well i got new glasses, and I have braces in that picture, but I look exactly the same.

In her blog Kristina talked about how different she was as a young teen, and we're for the purposes of this blog, the same age (I'm a year older than her IRL). I just can't help looking at myself and seeing an nearly identical person. Everyone around me figured I'd grow out of the "Harry Potter thing" I always figured my weird obsession with MJF would eventually fade, but there is now "growing out of Harry Potter" and from where I sit, I can see hanging in my closet this outfit:


without MJF in it, obvs.
Thinking about how we're supposed to "grow up" and change and evolve as people, and seeing that I still love the same things just as passionately, if not MORE passionately than I did when I was 13 makes me wonder if I something is wrong with me. Or maybe there is just something so great about the things I loved when I was a kid, that I never should let go of it.

I don't know, what do you guys think?

AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY
Today is awesome because, well, mostly because the inside of my face still hurts from that child being told to shut up.

Books Read 36
Currently have 4 chapters left of Skinny by Ibi Kalisk (I'm usually a much faster reader.)





3 comments:

  1. My friend brought up a theory that I find quite intriguing. Kids who grow up in times of crisis seem to want to become adults really quickly, and therefore eschew things from their childhoods.

    On the other hand, kids who grew up in times of peace want to hold on to that when the world starts being less than what we thought it was, so we hold onto the things from our childhoods.

    Plus, things for little kids are just so COOL! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard/probably read somewhere, that are a lot of people my age that feel this way. Smart people, most likely scientist, or sociologist, think it has to do with 9/11. I was 13 almost 14 when that happened. They believe that the wanting to hold on to such things is a way to hold on to the way life was before, and since we can remember it, and the world changed at such a pivial moment in our lives, we hold on for dear life to what was before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FAIL I was 14 almost 15. ^ why you should proof read.

    ReplyDelete